Summer is here and with that comes more window use. Window tracks can be forgotten during the winter and usually end up becoming a dust and insect graveyard. So, we are going to give you some tips on how to clean those tracks to assist letting in that fresh summer air easy, breezy.
Investing in a shop vac or handheld vacuum can make cleaning all those “accumulating” and hard to reach spots around the house a lot easier. They have an array of attachments and range in price, depending on your budget. They can save you tons of cleanup time and some even suck up wet spills.
What else do you need?
- White Vinegar
- Baking Soda
- Old Toothbrush
- Silicone spray
- An Old Candle or Beeswax
Cleaning the Tracks
- Take your vacuum and suck up any and all debris inside the tracks. Try not to open the window before doing this because you could potentially jam it up.
- After you have gotten what you can out, sprinkle the tracks with baking soda and then pour a small amount of vinegar to mix with it. The mixture will create a foamy bubbling chemical reaction, which helps eat away grime.
- Let this sit for about 5-8 minutes and follow up with the toothbrush. Scrub the cracks and hard to reach places with the brush.
- Use your rag to wipe everything to the center of the track and scoop it up, shaking out the rag in the trash. Repeat until clean.
- Rinse your rag thoroughly.
- Take the freshly wet rag and wrap it around the other end of the toothbrush and use this to scrape off any tougher spots.
- Give one last wipe and the track should be smooth and clean.
Lubricating the Tracks
We insist on following up with some lubricating. This will keep the windows jam free and helps prevent metal tracks from rusting. Try not to use grease based lubricants. These gunk up and trap more debris. Spray the silicone lubricant, such as PB Blaster or WD-40, on a rag and wipe the area well. Open and close the window a few times to make sure and get the lubricant into the non-visible spots. You can re-apply as much as necessary. If you have wooden tracks, you can use a candle or beeswax, rubbing it generously in the tracks. Once applied, create friction by operating the window numerous times. This allows the wax to spread out over the wood.
Keeping your House in Track
Now that you have that taken care of, give Fabulously Clean House Cleaning a call at (208) 608-4648 and we can take care of all of your home cleaning needs! Don’t want to clean those messy window tracks? We can do that to!!!